THE DAY OF SURGERY
After midnight the day of your surgery
- Do not smoke after midnight the day of your surgery.
- Do not eat anything (including gum, mints, hard candy), after midnight the day of your surgery. Undigested food in the stomach can cause complications and your surgery is likely to be postponed.
Morning of surgery
- Take a bath or shower and brush your teeth.
- Remove all makeup, jewelry, and contacts. If you must wear contacts, please bring your storage case for use during surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that can accommodate a bandage, cast, or dressing where the procedure is being performed.
What to bring with you on the day of your surgery
- Bring all insurance cards. It is important for us to have all the current and correct information.
- Bring a government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license.
- Bring a copy of your consent forms and an Advance Directive if you have one. Your signature will be required in accordance with your particular procedure.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to accompany you to JCHC, receive discharge instructions, and drive you home. It is recommended that someone stay with you for the first 24 hours following surgery.
What not to bring to JCHC the day of surgery
- Leave all jewelry, cash, and valuables at home. Unfortunately, we cannot be responsible for their safety.